Monday, April 30, 2012

Working, working, working

Hmm, let's see.  The yellow jacket sting.  I left the tea bag on overnight then had to take it off.  The tea was starting to irritate the skin.  I got a hard spot slightly larger than a nickel on the bottom of my foot and the leg throbbed all day from ankle to knee.  But by the next day it was all good.  Now the bottom of my foot itches as it deals with any leftover toxins and heals.  And not the type of itch you can scratch.  Oh, and the sting entrance is very visible now.  BTW, this works for me but I have no idea if it will work for you.  Try at your own risk. 

But on to better things.  Pints of caramelized cream of onion soup are done.  Mangoes are in the dehydrator.  More roses and honeysuckle were picked - this time for mead.  And my son's playhouse had a makeover.

The playhouse was frustrating.  Due to a tree falling the roof really, really, really needed replacing.  But the carpenter bees had also decided that they liked it.  We didn't build it, it came with the house, so I had no way of knowing what quality of lumber was used.  We ended up pulling all the shingles and plywood off.  On the main part of the playhouse we found metal roofing.  For over the porch, it was all wood and it was going bad due to the bees, ants and termites.  So we pulled out the sawzall and a demolition blade after it was apparent that the porch roof was an addon.  And down came the porch roof.  Oh boy, we made those bees mad!  And I wish I had a camera to take a picture of how big my son's eyes got as the roof section crashed over.

After that it was relatively simple.  The metal had too many holes but it served as a good base.  We laid 3/4" exterior plywood, and then reroofed with the roofing panels my Dad found.  Basically shingles molded into a sheet like tin.  It worked and we got it done.  Then I got to clean up.  Ugh!!!  Fortunately most of the nails did not come off with the old roofing so hopefully I got all that did come off.  Although I'm thinking about taking my tool wrist magnet and doing a sweep with it.

And I have a lovely sunburn on my shoulders and back from spending the entire day outside.  I had gotten up way early to do outside things and we didn't finish the playhouse until 4 or so.

But I also got the counter around the dehydrator cleaned off.  And the hinges on the garden shed have been replaced.  And the edging for between the front porch and house got put on.

So more dehydrating to do.  Maybe more mangoes if Aldi's has another sale.  And painting outside.  And now I really, really, really need to get some more garden beds done.  It's getting hotter and the last frost date was two weeks ago!

It's going to be a busy week.  Hopefully, it will be a calm week.  Fingers crossed.  Here's hoping you have a calm week as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.