Thursday, April 19, 2012

And Nothing Got Done...

Good Morning!  Despite the title, things did get done yesterday.  Just not the things I had mentioned doing. 

I got into the kitchen and started cleaning.  Now this involves clearing the counter tops from the clutter that inevitable gathers because the kitchen is a high activity area for us.  So things got separated and put away.  Then the paper board and other items that needed it went through the shredder.  Which, of course, resulted in me having to empty the shredder twice.  Annoying because so much had built up but good because I was running out of mulch for the garden beds.  Then all the canning that had piled up on the sideboard had to get put away.  (I have a bad habit of getting it done to the point of the jars are cleaned but then waiting to get everything labeled and into the pantry.)  Then the sink got fully emptied, which is annoying at the moment because there is a water leak under the house right by the sink.  So I'm washing in basins and having to take the water to the toilet to dump it.  Some of it is going outside to water plants.  Anyways, back on track, then everything I could do got scrubbed.  By then end the only thing that wasn't scrubbed was the oven and the floor.  And my spine made it very, very clear that if I tried that I wouldn't be walking for the rest of the day - so I stopped.

But my brain wouldn't let me do any canning because the kitchen wasn't as clean as I wanted it.  So instead I started repacking sugar into mylar bags.  A couple of weeks ago Publix had a really, really good sale on sugar - especially when mixed with the coupon available.  Since we are on such a tight budget, and I knew I wanted to start selling canned goods at the farmer's market, I stocked up.  But I hadn't had a chance to get it put into mylar.  Packing in mylar is kind of necessary for me because I have a lot of ants on the property and I don't want them in my food.  So all the food in the pantry is sealed thoroughly.  For sugar it's easiest to put it in mylar bags.  I use one gallon bags because that is more than enough to last my son and I for a while.  Anyways, since the counter tops and sideboard were clear, I got a lot of repacking done.

Before I knew it, it was 4 o'clock and I was having to fix dinner.  I'm not sure where the day went.  I'm sure part of it was spent with the mini training sessions with the dog.  And a little more with the child attack/snuggle/pounce sessions.  But still, I had hoped to get more done.  But by the time dinner was made and eaten, it was time to focus fully on my son again.  And my spine had made it clear that I wasn't going to do much more on my feet.

I don't think I'll get to any of the canning today.  We have a homeschool co-op activity that runs from 10 - 12, which means that we'll be leaving at about 9:15 and getting back at about 1.  That's just how it goes.  So this morning I'm going to get a load of laundry done, hopefully.  That leak near the kitchen is because of the HE washing machine so I can't use the washer right now.  So each batch of laundry is being done in the bathtub and then hung on the outside line.  If I could find out how much water the machine actually puts out, I would just switch the drain tube to a big barrel.  But I haven't had the time to go hunting that information.  When we get home, I'll get more laundry done and mow the backyard.  If my spine has truly forgiven me today I'll get the kitchen completely done this evening.  Then I can do canning tomorrow.

And hopefully this weekend, Dad and my brother will be able to get up here to help with the leak.  I know Dad is coming but my brother is up in the air.  And even if we figure it out, it'll easily be another week before the crawlspace dries out enough for someone to consider going under there.  But at least now it is drying out.  What a mess.  My folks gave me their old HE machines hoping to help me reduce my bills.  None of us were aware that older, smaller drainage lines would have a problem with the force of the water as it came through.  We know where the leak is, but getting to it is a whole 'nother story.  My crawlspace is only 11" high in most areas! 

Ah well, we will get it figured out and fixed. 

So I'm off to another busy day.  And as you'll get to know, my days rarely go as planned so I'm sure that tomorrow will tell the tale of what didn't get done today, and maybe why.    I hope you have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.