Saturday, June 30, 2012

Done, Done, Done, Done, Done!

Done, Done, Done, Done, Done!

(picture this with hips swinging, hands in the air and dancing in circles and you'll come close.)

My child thinks that I went a little crazy for a few moments, or that's what the expression on his face seemed to say.  My girlfriend laughed.  And you probably think I'm a little crazy, at the moment, for being so very thrilled that the weeding is done.  But bear with me for a few minutes and I think you'll understand why it made me so happy.

For over five years now I have suffered from an odd form of depression.  I'm not sad.  I knew what needed to be done.  My body wouldn't do it.  My mind and body have been at war.  And my mind typically lost.  When my mind won, I'd get the energy to do something but typically only for one day.  Then I would be wiped out again.  The docs swore it wasn't anything thyroid/adrenal related despite a family history of those issues, and very very low thyroid readings.

At the end of last year, I got a book on adrenal fatigue.  I was very skeptical but by November I decided to at least give part of the suggestions a try.  I tried one amino acid supplement.  ummm, wow doesn't cover it.  It wasn't instantaneous or continuous at first.  And there are still some rough periods.  But things started changing.  I ended up adding two more supplemental amino acids for a total of three.  By January, things really, really improved.

Guess what.......my mind now wins most of the mind/body arguments.  In fact, most days there isn't even an argument anymore.  When my thyroid was tested a few months ago the readings came back mid-range, not bottom end.  I don't know why my body isn't getting these supplements from my diet.  I checked the natural sources and I consume them.  But at least for now, I need to take the supplements.  Maybe, after a while, my body will again be able to function on what is part of my normal diet.

So the reason for the dancing is because a year ago, I could not have gotten the weeding done for my parents.  I would have tried but I would have gotten maybe one good day and then had to quit.  And my mind would have quit because of the heat extremes we've seen this week.  Yesterday hit 106.

This week, I worked during the morning for four days.  The total was 12 hours.  I got all the garden beds done completely.  My body didn't quit on me, although it did give me warnings.  I listened to the warnings and kept going.  My mind didn't quit on me, it just kept figuring out how to get it done.

Of course, I was laughing at myself when my mind gave me the best information just as I was finishing up.  A thick towel to lay over the rocks for sitting.  My stirrup hoe to deal with the rock beds.  Etc.  I just laughed and filed the idea away for next time.  Because there will be a next time.  This has been one of my biggest successes since things started getting better.  The changes in my yard are a close second.  And I like knowing that I can once again do the things that need to be done.

So I'm dancing happy today.  And so incredibly grateful for the intervention from above that led to the ability to feel "human" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.