Thursday, July 5, 2012

A New Table

Well, I'm working on the inside To Do list now.  One of the projects was to make a long, low table that ran most of the way along the front wall, under the window.  The table is where I store things that we use, but not frequently, and that I don't want in in sight.

So the original debate I had was over how I was going to build the table.  I was considering getting lumber and building a low shelving unit that could be used as a table and still store everything.  The problem being that to make the shelving unit sturdy enough I would have been buying some expensive lumber.  Also, there would be no flexibility in a long, low one piece unit. 

I also thought about building three of the units, smaller, so that it would be more flexible.  But again, the lumber problem.

So my final solution is simple.  I used 6 plastic shipping totes.  I got these years ago and I love them.  They are ugly to look at but not hard to hide.  But they don't have cover/lids.  So after a few minutes of brainstorming I went out to the garage and found what I needed.

We have wooden TV stands.  I rarely use them but my son loves them.  He is only allowed to have one at any time because he's pretty hard on them.  The one he's allowed to have rarely lasts more than a year.  And the last two only lasted 6 months.  While the tops are exceedingly sturdy, the legs can't take the abuse he dishes out.  And due to the increased destructiveness, he currently only has the top to one to play with.  There were the remains of 4 prior TV stands in the garage because I couldn't make myself throw away the tops.  They were good thick wood.  So I removed all the attachments and brought them in.  I laid these on the shipping containers as lids.  And finally, I put a lovely light sea green tablecloth over the whole set up.

Looking at it now, I may raise the whole thing by an additional tote.  I may also make it go the full length of that wall.  It works beautifully behind the two driftwood chairs.  And so much wonderfully hidden storage!  The final table is 15" wide x 20" tall x 7' long, for right now.  And I guess that it was good that I didn't make it from lumber because then I'd be frustrated about considering changes.

Ah well, off to get more done!  I hope you're having a productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.