Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back in Action

It took longer to recover than I expected, but I'm back in action.  Most of the lawn is done.  Tomorrow I will redo the front yard and start the backyard.  But the largest portion is already done.

The shelf under the front window is now longer, but not higher.  Too much of a discrepancy in the size of some of the containers.  But the distinctive change from the sea foam green covering the shelf to the deep red cherry color of the end table is gone.  And it's made a difference.  I got the windows cleaned and all of the sun catchers hung up.  And the big book shelving units swapped out so that the shorter one is on the door side.  And a hanging vase up.  And, and, and, and.  Basically lots of work got done today.  Tomorrow I'll get the small desk moved.  Then all I have to do is get a good cloth cover made for the desk and the heavy part of doing the living room is done.  Well, done until I have to move things in order to insulate around the windows and finish painting trim.

So, the plans for the rest of this week and on, are a toss up.  One part of my brain wants to work on the living room cushions and window treatments.  The other part wants to get all of the rearranging in the dining room done first. 

The dining room project involves some construction projects.  I'm going to make a low custom shelf for under its window.  That shelf will become the home for our home school supplies.  I already have most of the wood for that project.  It was wood purchased for another project that ended up going a different way.  There is another unit I want to build for the dining room but I have to think more on that one.  I'm not sure what I want it too be, either another shelf unit or a buffet.

I'm leaning towards doing the dining room rearrange and builds first.  That way I can work on all the fabric projects and blinds at the same time.  While I'm going to recover the couch and chair cushions in the living room, I'm also going to recover the chair cushions in the dining room.  I'm also going to do some repair to the chairs.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get both the living room and dining room done.  Then it'll be time to work on the gardens again.

By the way, rearranging and redesigning rooms isn't something I do frequently.  I have a need to live in a place for a couple of years before I can do anything.  And every time I thought I had everything figured out for this house, something new came along.  Now I'm at the point where I'm happy with the furniture we have and not looking to accept any new donation furniture.  So what I do now will most likely be the way it stays for a very long time.  I really like the feel of things as they are now.  They remind me of my grandmother's shore house.  The furniture is wood with cushions and it feels kind of open, even for such a small space.  That shore house was small, and it held a lot of good childhood memories for me.  I was very sad when a developer purchased it and tore it down after her death.  So it feels good to have some part of my current home remind me of that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.