Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ouch..

The plans for today were for me to enlarge the shelf under the front window, get rid of two end tables, and put a small sewing desk in the corner of the living room.  Oh, and get the lawn done while the temperatures are lower and the sun is out.  I was looking forward to getting all of these things done.

Instead, I'm sitting here typing one handed with my other arm in a sling.  :-(  I woke up this morning to the discovery that I've badly pinched the nerve in my neck.  This is most likely due to stress from two major personal things that have popped up in the last week.  

This happens once every few years.  The first time it happened I had no clue what was going on.  Over the course of two days I went from mild pinching pain to severe pain if I even picked up a sheet of paper.  I was in college, working on a major project and this was an eye opener.  My Dad has a similar issue but he doesn't get the corresponding muscle weakness so he just powers through it.  Anyways, I thought it was a fluke.  A couple of years later it happened again. 

The second time I caught it before it got severe.  I had an interesting conversation with my doctor which basically said they couldn't do much because I have a bad physical reaction to steroids.  My choices were painkillers and muscle relaxants.  Oh, and several days off work.  None of those were options I could take.  So I was told to not use the arm at all.  I discovered how close to impossible that was for me.  After two days I went and bought a sling and strapped my arm down tight against my body.  To use my arm I had to actively think about it.  Two days later I had full use of my arm back.  It took a couple more episodes for me to learn to keep a sling on hand.

Now I don't even call the doctor.  I have a sling tucked up with my medical supplies.  This morning I pulled it out and put it on.  I rubbed in arnica cream and took an OTC pain killer/anti inflammatory.  Hopefully I'll have full use back by tomorrow since I really want to finish the lawn.  But at the latest it'll be Monday.  So I guess I'll be catching up on my reading and the online Permaculture course. 

But I likely won't post here again until it's healed.  I hate one handed typing.

I hope you are having a happy, healthy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.