Monday, June 25, 2012

Splitting the To Do List

In my house there is the To Do list.  In my mom's house, and my SIL's house, there is the Honey Do List.  Either one seems never ending some days.

I'm having problems refocusing on inside tasks so I decided that I would start by splitting the lists.  That way the stubborn part of my brain that is fixated on the outside tasks can let go and refocus.

So, outside To Do list.  To be worked on if cooler days hit or in September.
          1)  Trellises for Jasmine and Honeysuckle around three front maples.  Transfer plants to each location.  Get native honeysuckle for one of the locations.
          2)  Trimming of back hedge
          3)  Clearing of new back yard bed - the side where the blackberries have rooted in.  Move all the miscellaneous stuff out.  Put in a brick "bed" for the grill.  Dig that section of french drain, fill and cover.  Put in edging - all the way if possible.   Root canes all the way along.  Mulch heavily.  Cut back chaste tree and mallows that are on other side of fence along there.  Pull out honeysuckle that is starting to creep in there.
          4)  Putting in wooden playset for my son
          5)  Moving/leveling trampoline so that the new playset will fit.
          6)  Spreading out strawberry plant runners to blank spots in the strawberry bed
          7)  Fixing greenhouse structure and cover.  Filling thermal mass jugs.  Installing mist system for watering.  Installing shade cover to control temps.
          8)  Clearing area along side of garage and putting mint plants (in planters) along it.  This will involve pulling the existing grass, leveling, and mulching.
          9)  Cleaning out raspberry bed and laying new mulch.
          10)  Dig out privet on side of house.  Prep area for 3 new blueberries in spring.  Includes digging a french drain section behind the location for one of the new blueberries.  Same thing as other french drain section.
          11)  Fix porch gate.  Make a second gate.
          12)  Replace baluster that is breaking on porch railing due to knot in wood.
          13)  Paint porch rails and gates.
          14)  Put up 4 new garden beds.

Ok.  Maybe now my brain can refocus on the inside stuff.  I know my focus for the first couple of weeks/month is going to be the living room.  I want to rearrange a bit.  But then I also want to get the new curtains and curtain rods made and hung.  I'm going to pull the trim around the windows and put insulation in the holes.  Then I'm going to finish painting any trim not painted, including all the new stuff around the door.  Then I'm going to make plastic covered full window inserts for an extra layer of protection during winter.  Oh, and thermal roman shades for winter.  And finally, the couch and chairs need new cushion covers.  I may even get a chance to restain the wood on the two older chairs.  Hmmm....I think at least part of my brain has jumped on to the new To Do list.  Now to see how far I get.

I wonder if I should make the new curtains go from floor to ceiling?  I'll have to see how much fabric I have.

Ok, off to plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.