Friday, June 8, 2012

Trellises and Flames

No, not in the same space and time.  I have not set fire to my gardens.

My solution to the loose fit between the pipes and the PVC connectors seems to be working.  But it's only been a few days so I'll let you know if it lasts.  Dad is convinced it won't.  I tapped holes in the PVC connectors for 10 - 32 screws.  Then used the screws to tighten up the trellis frames.  It helped a lot.  The only real problem was that Dad couldn't find the handle for the tap, so I had to do it with my fingers.  As a result, one finger is a little scratched and sore.  If this idea pans out for the long term I will go buy another tap and die set since I can not seem to find the set I know I already have.  Although I found several other tools that I had looked for in the past and couldn't locate.

It's the family jinx.  As soon as we replace something or find another (usually harder) way to do something and get it done - the missing item appears.  It can get really annoying!

Now for flames.  Back when I was in college my friends joked about me being a pyro because I really liked fires.  I would have them at parties.  And I had candles everywhere.  At some point they decided I wasn't allowed to be in charge of the fires anymore.  There was no event that caused this just the guys in my life started taking over handling the fires.  So I haven't laid a firebed in a long time.  As I discovered this week, it is not a talent I lost. 

The first time we used the firepit this week, I just laid a small starter bed and worked it up as we sat there.  It gave me an idea of how much wood, and what sizes, I would need for a fire to last about an hour in this firepit.  Especially since I realized that I hadn't used this firepit in 5 or more years!  Anyways, I got the flames going and we just relaxed until all that was left was ashes.  It was good for both myself and munchkin.

The second time we used it I was in a lazy mood.  So I laid the full bed in such a way that I should have had to only add wood one time to keep the fire going.  And this is where I smile and laugh at myself.  Because I had forgotten how good I was at this.  And how hot I could get a fire going in a short period of time.  And that it would last for a while.  It blazed up beautifully and didn't stop.  I added 5 or 6 larger sticks after about a half hour.  They lasted about another 15 minutes.  The coals were beautiful and I found myself wishing that I had dug a pit for cast iron cooking.  Or maybe pulled out my cast iron country crocks and dutch ovens.  I may make a separate pit using firebrick just for that.

I love fires.  And I have a healthy respect for the dangers they can present.  Given my son's disability, candles and oil lamps haven't been in my house in a very long time.  The firepit is actually very well contained to prevent anything from falling out.  And I lay the fire so that the wood does not lean on the pit itself.  The blaze was not out of control.  It was well laid and remained well contained within the firepit.  It did throw sparks but most of them were caught within the safe zone I created.  Although if I get a source for brick, I will extend that safe zone by another 2 feet or so all the way around.  That's just my sense of caution.

I think we will be doing fires at least once a week until it gets absolutely too cold to do so.  That would mean snow for us.  It is very calming to just sit back and rock with my son while watching the flames.  And for whatever reason, it helps him to sleep better.

Just remember, fire is a very quixotic and dangerous element.  Respect it and the harm it can do.  Take precautions to prevent harm.  I hope you all are getting to at least enjoy some campfires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.