Saturday, June 23, 2012

Heat

Well the heat is here.  Now I know that ninety degree weather isn't a problem for a lot of people.  But it is for me.  Even with lots of liquids, I will get heat stroke very quickly in those temps.  I guess it comes with the fair complexion and red hair.  The southern humidity makes it worse.  Even in a pool, I have to limit my time in direct sunlight - and not because of sunburns.  The headaches will be killer if I'm not careful. 

So I will start trying to transition tasks this week.  I will be getting up early to take care of watering, digging out the rest of the Pampas grass, and mulching in the 3 spots that need it.  Early will be at 5:45 to 6 am, just after sunrise.  Although once I get used to it, I'll probably get up before sunrise.  Then I can go back outside at around 7 or so.  It stinks but I actually planned the gardens, and other stuff, so that I could do this when the heat got to be too much.  I just normally have another week or so before we hit those temps.  Not happening this year.  Unfortunately it also means that the back hedge will wait until September to get cut back the rest of the way, because these changes will be in effect until the temps start dropping again.

But I've also promised Dad that I would weed his garden beds next week.  So I'll be breaking that chore up over 3 or 4 days, doing an hour or so at a time.  That way I shouldn't get into too much trouble.  And a quick dip in his pool afterwards will pull my core temp back down effectively.  Fortunately, this is a one shot thing.  It's just that he has sooooo many garden beds that need weeding.

There's only one regular chore that I can't do that early, and that's mowing the lawn.  I have to wait until at least 8 o'clock am to start that chore.  Fortunately, now that the heat has hit, I can normally do it once every 3 weeks.  It's fortunate because I'll be wiped out for that entire day and the next day recovering.

So now I'm shifting gears and plotting the To Do list that involves inside tasks.  There's plenty of cleaning, sewing and other tasks to catch up on.  Although I'm also going to bring the grill up closer to the back door and work on cooking outside when I can.  I've managed to keep the electric bill under $100 for 3 months now.  And I know the higher temps are going to change that but I'm going to do what I can to keep the bill down.  One bonus, the A/C unit is in a naturally shaded area for most of the day.

So unless life throws a curve ball, the projects I'll post here for the next couple of months will be indoor stuff.  I'm off to go through my To Do list and plan things.  I hope you are safe in the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.