Sunday, July 14, 2013

Welcome the Heat???

I'm not talking about the temperatures outside.  I'm talking about my peppers.

This year I planted two ghost peppers.  Given all of the information I found on growing them I figured that they would be fine if place on the far side of the bed next to the bed which contains the rest of my peppers.  And then this year we got unusual summer weather.  Weather that apparently the ghost peppers like.  So instead of small plants that I have to baby along to get some peppers, I have two large plants that are covered in peppers.  And a lot of blooms for more peppers.

Now originally this got a major thumbs up from me.  And I've been plotting all the fun recipes I can do for my brother, one friend, and another friend's hubby and boys.  And trust me, I'm plotting.  I'm going to have fun with those peppers.

And then yesterday I pulled some jalapenos for my friend's boys.  They like to eat them.  I sliced up four of them.  I didn't use gloves because four jalapenos is not a big deal.  Except that they were hotter than expected and my fingers had that light burn feeling for the rest of the night.  And the oils from my fingers got on my burger and corn resulting in them having a burning bite.  And then her boy eats just a couple of slices and ends up sucking down lots of water from the burn.  Now, originally I let it roll off of me because I hadn't heard anything about the jalapenos that I had sent home with her a week or so ago.  And her boy thought that maybe he had eaten a seed or two.

Well, today I was walking the garden with this same friend and showing her how many peppers are on the ghost pepper bushes.  And we were discussing how difficult they were supposed to be to grown and how well they were doing.  And I flashed back to the jalapenos at dinner.  I think we both did at the same time.  Because the next thing that both of us "wondered" about was if the ghost peppers had crossed with the jalapenos.  And now we are wondering if they crossed with the cayenne peppers as well because her toddler son grabbed one and squished it, then got very upset.

So toddler son quickly got scrubbed.  And got to drink coconut milk for any burn that may have gotten into mouth.  Then we continued our thoughts.

We know that there hasn't been a cross over with the sweet bells because I've already used several of those and there is no heat.  But apparently I've either got the hottest jalapeno and cayenne peppers that I've had in years.....or the ghost peppers cross pollinated with them and upped the heat.

So I apparently have more testing to do.  Or, I should say, my friend's hubby has some testing to do since he likes the hot peppers and is willing to taste test.

It's going to be interesting either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.