Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

I can't say much about Independence Day that isn't already being said all across the web.  I have enjoyed rereading both the Constitution and the Bill of Rights today.  Something everyone should do, so if you haven't please find a copy and get reading.

For us the day is rainy so no fireworks, and no cookout.  Which is actually not a big thing for us because we weren't going to be doing those things.  Instead I'm doing the first harvest of summer from the garden, shelling beans and filling the dehydrator.

I wish I could say the harvest was going to be enough for us for the year but it's not.  Again, that's part of the learning curve.  I have determined that one of the garden beds will have to be moved.  It is just too close to a silver maple even though I thought I had given it enough room.  And in a competition for nutrients between a tree and annual vegetables the tree is going to win every time.  And honestly, I don't think raised beds can provide us with enough for the year in at least some of our crops.  So I'll take what nature provides and keep learning.  I'm not going to redo the entire garden here since we are being forced to move in 2 years.  I will plan on a much larger "in the ground" garden at wherever we end up at.

On the positive side, the harvest is going to be much larger this year than it was last year.  Getting the plants in early has helped a lot with that.  And surprisingly, the ghost peppers aren't requiring any pampering at all so far.  And I've got peppers growing on the plants.  I'm looking forward to working with those peppers later this year.

As for Independence Day - I thank those who are continually striving to keep Americans free and independent.  Not just the military but also those who keep eagle eyes on our politicians to keep them in line.  And those politicians, few though they are, that work against those who are power hungry.  And those who strive to be able to stand on their own, and help others to do so when they can.  Independence Day means so much more than fireworks and cookouts.  May those who are fighting for our Independence, in ways both big and small, be blessed and protected in their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.