Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bountiful Harvest

For some reason this year my squashes aren't doing well.  Except for the one in the garden bed with the Ghost Peppers.  That pumpkin plant is exploding!  But all the rest are having issues even though they are getting plenty of rainfall.  So we'll see what happens.  Ironically, the two pumpkin plants that I put in the other pepper bed aren't growing at all.  Apparently not all squashes and peppers are good companion plants.

On the other hand, my hot peppers are going wild.  And my small sweet bells are doing just as well.

Today's Harvest

Despite, or maybe because of, the plants being harvested while we were gone there was still quite a bit to harvest this afternoon.  Above is a mix of sweet bells, cayennes, habaneros, jalapenos, one onion, and the one ripe ghost pepper.  That one front and center is the ghost pepper.

There are actually quite a few onions ready for harvest.  The tops toppled and dried up while we were gone.  And I know it wasn't due to lack of water since it rained well while we were gone.  Well enough to trigger flood warnings for my area.  So later this week onions will get harvested  and put in the dehydrator.  So will the cayennes and jalapenos.  And the tomatoes I spied on the way through will get harvested and dried as well. 

Those sweet bells, the habaneros, and the ghost pepper are headed for a different fate though.  They are headed to become Habanero Gold and Ghost Gold.  The Habanero Gold is already a successful recipe in my house so that will be relatively easy.  On the other hand, Ghost Gold is going to be a new creation.  So I'm expecting that there might be an imperfect batch or two as I work on that recipe.  And there are taste testers ready and willing to help me create a good master recipe.  We are all looking forward to it.

And apparently someone upstairs is aware that I might need to do a few batches to get it right because there's another ghost pepper on the bush that should be fully ripe tomorrow or the next day.  :-)

There is a truly bountiful harvest in my garden.  I am ever so grateful for these gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.