Friday, May 11, 2012

You Laugh, Otherwise You Might Scream

ok, this moment of hilarity brought to you by me.

While reading a text from someone who was supposed to already be at my house, I walked out my back door to go to the storage shed.  Goliath was following me and I didn't want him outside so I pulled the door closed behind me.  I promptly replied to the text, then went to the storage shed to get what the empty box for canning jars.  Upon returning to the back door I found it locked.  Oops, I instinctively locked it upon exiting......and I didn't have keys.

Okay, deep breath, I decide to go in through the bathroom window.  My son tends to open it during his showers and doesn't always get it completely back down and relocked when he's done.  Ooops again, he actually got it fully down and locked this time!

Okay, a few more deep breaths.  Oh yeah, I've got the kitchen window open!  So around to the kitchen.  Okay, back to the garage for the ladder.  I don't see the extension ladder so I grab the 4 footer.  Back to the kitchen window.  Ok, the screen is steel and I can't get it out.  Over to the neighbors for a screwdriver.  Screen out, screwdriver returned, I reach in and start cleaning off the sill.

I look at the window and realize that I will have to go in head first.  Oh joy!  So I try it.  Part of the way in, I realize that it's not going to happen with this ladder.  I also realize that my son has taken this opportunity to grab my dish soap for smearing.  I promptly tell him to put the soap back.  He does.  Bug-eyed doesn't come even close to the look on his face when he sees me half out the window!  I hope I haven't given him ideas.

Anyways, soap back in the kitchen, I exit once again and go looking for the extension ladder.  One phone call to Dad later, to confirm that he didn't take it to his place, I find it right in front of my face.  Yup, I'm snake bit.

Back to the window.  I'm hoping that with the taller ladder I can go in feet first but no such luck!  So in face first I go.  Hmmm.....I'm glad I've lost a lot of weight, the window isn't very big. 

Oh, I haven't mentioned that this window is directly over my kitchen sink!  And one half is full of clean dishes!  After a few stretches and modified splits later, I'm on the counter on all four.  Footing and hand grips were a little mobile because I had just finished dishes and the area was still damp.  Please, use your imagination here because Murphy was definitely at play during this. 

Finally, I got two feet on the floor.  And I managed to do it with only one scrape and no broken items.

So back out the door, with keys this time, to clean everything up.  Who knew that getting an empty canning box into the house could be so difficult.  And I was planning on cleaning of the sill of random objects, just not quite this way.

I've got to find a way to hide a house key outside the house.  This is the second time this year I've had to "break" in.  It's great exercise but it's a little tiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.