Friday, May 25, 2012

We Are Still Here

It's just been very hectic.  And with the hard drive on the laptop crashing, I've had to spend a lot of time doing backups and reinstalls.

The freezer finally sold.  So I'm using the money to buy the lumber for my son's swing set.  I'm going to do a couple of pieces at a time.  That way I can cut them and treat them with Thompson's Water Seal.  Then move on to the next set.  And I may have a lead on getting the 4 x 4s from someone who is taking down their swing set.  We weren't going to do the slide because I couldn't afford one (not part of the kit).  Then someone posted one on Freecycle and we got it.  So kiddo gets a wave slide.  And after measuring I realized that we could safely put his tire swing on the set.  So he'll have a fort, slide, tire swing, and regular swing.  He'll be in heaven, or as close to it as he can get on Earth.  Although any angels watching over him may want to shoot me when I'm done.

Two more garden beds completely in.  Tomatoes and cucumbers are planted.  "Pampered" plants (citrus and delicate herbs) have been moved outside.  More lumber for other beds to come soon hopefully.  I have enough for one more full size bed.  I want to do two more full size beds and three half size beds.  And then the fruit plants.  Oh, and I filled a new level on the potato bin.

Yard sale this weekend.  Hopefully I will sell enough to be able to get the last of the fruit trees and bushes.  Fingers crossed.

Last batch of jellies dudded.  Two didn't set.  So they have to be redone.  The wine jelly came out fabulous though, even after I made a mistake.  That's probably going to be a keeper recipe.  Although it was a very soft set which I hope to firm up a little bit in future batches.  I'm hoping to get the other two redone Sunday.  Then I'll get the last of several batches done.  Then I'll experiment with a mulled wine jelly.

Dried onions, all varieties, are done.  Hoping to get the last of them flaked sometime this week.  Finishing dried spinach now as well as dried lemon peels.  Both came out good.  The dehydrator will probably appreciate the break since it's been going non stop for a couple of weeks now.

I replaced the screen on the kitchen window.  When I had to "break in" I discovered that the screen that was there didn't cover it completely.  Instead of using screening, I used a thin, almost paper like white fabric.  I really like the effect and I'm thinking of doing it for other windows in private areas.  Today I did it for the screen door that enters the garage.  It totally blocks my son's view into the garage and as a result he is less likely to get upset over not being allowed in to the garage.

I forget what else has been done.  It's been a hectic period and I've been going non stop.  I hope things are going well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.