Saturday, August 25, 2012

New Boxers for the Boy

About a week ago I picked up patterns for my son at the store.  They were on sale for $.99 and I don't have any patterns for his current sizes.  Also, patterns for boys/men are very difficult to get a good variety on so I'm going to keep grabbing a few when they are on sale.  I get tired of making all our patterns from scratch sometimes.

Anyways, this week I'm working on boxers for the boy.  Now boxers aren't used as underwear by my boy.  He uses them as house shorts and sleepwear.  And he has distinct preferences for materials - soft knits.  Now I could either spend extra money to replace all of them that he has outgrown or I could use the materials I have on hand and recycle some more t shirts.  I'm going with what I have on hand.

I'm using Simplicity pattern #9958.  And the first time I made it exactly as the pattern instructions said to.  This is something I do for most patterns but always if it's a Simplicity pattern because I've had problems in the past. 

This pattern went together well and the instructions were good.  The only problems were due to my son's height.  So the second pair has been modified.  I didn't do enclosed elastic.  Instead I sergered the elastic to the top edge of the boxers.  The addition length provided worked well.  I also just rolled the bottom hem.  Overall this would make them too long to be worn under clothing but for my son's purposes they are perfect.

And both pairs got the child seal of approval almost immediately - he put them on and didn't take them off until it was time to go outside! 


And that's as good as the picture gets because my son hates to stand still!

And I haven't forgotten about the blog but it seems Murphy is here for an extended visit!  Would anyone like him to come visit?  I could do with a break - and not a body part!  I'd share the picture of my toes but it's not pretty.  The second to last toe is now very swollen and the shade of purple grapes. 

Murphy can visit someone else now.  Please.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.