Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Creating!






Ok, this creating was spawned because of the money issue. 

First created was the reusable paper towels.  That's what is in the picture above.  One side is flannel, the other side is cotton knit.  These were recycled from old t shirts and an old bed sheet.  I cut them to be 12" x 12" and then sergered the sides together.  The original craft I found online had snaps to connect them.  While I have a ton of metal snaps I'm not sure how well they would hold up to repeated washings in the machine.  Especially not on sanitary mode.  So I just overlap them slightly as I roll them on a piece of PVC.  So far these have proven useful for everything that disposable paper towels are good for, except greasy bacon.  Not that we've had bacon but I wouldn't use these for that.  And since these are recycled materials, I don't feel that painful twinge when I use them to clean something that might stain.  So my "tea" towels aren't getting as badly abused.  And they are turning out to be the perfect size for small messes.  (And no, I actually don't buy paper towels frequently at all.  But my hand towels were taking a beating from canning messes.)

The second created was reusable toilet paper.  Yup.  It's here.  Again made from recycled materials, these are 7" x 7".  And I ended up with enough of those squares to see us through a week solid if need be.  They do not get reused until they have gone through a sanitary cycle in the washer - by themselves.  The container for them is an old gallon vinegar jug with two cuts made to create a flap.  So far....no odors and no other problems.  I don't roll these on a pipe section because they are just slightly too wide for any toilet paper dispenser.  But they are rolled in batches and set within reach of the toilet.  Oh, and somehow I think some relatives would be highly amused to see certain sections of their old t shirts turned into these.  I tried to avoid any printing but didn't quite manage it once or twice.  This was originally a TSHF idea, so I guess TSHF in our lives.  Either way, it has definitely helped avoid that expense.

The third creation was face wipes.  I used to buy Wet Ones when they went on sale.  For some reason Wet Ones have always been able to handle my rosecea when I have an outbreak.  But I typically wait until nothing else works because they are an expense.  Instead, I made 5" x 5" swatches of the fabric leftover from the two prior projects.  I stuck with using the knit fabric because it wouldn't unravel easily so I didn't have to serger it.  I have enough to fill two Wet Ones containers.  I'm experimenting with witch hazel plain and another batch with a few drops of Thieves' Oil.  Both seem to be working okay so I'll stick with this.  I may try a mix with Tea Tree Oil when I can locate my bottle of it.  If it works out okay long term then I'll start trying to grow witch hazel.  I have stratified seeds that I received as a barter earlier this year.


A few more projects are in the works.  A travel lunch bag that converts to a place mat for my son.  Placemats made from my old favorite table cloth.  Garments for my son.  My sewing machine is happy to be out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.