Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Allergen Free Recipes

About a month ago I ran across the new Pillsbury doughs.  I've experimented with the pizza dough and the pastry crust now.  They are okay.  Okay in the way that most ready made foods compare to homemade foods.  Which means that for GF stuff that's out there, they are pretty good.

But 1) we are spoiled by home cooking, and 2) there were still some ingredients that my son reacts to.  It really stinks but it was a good diet challenge.  And it proved that we still needed to avoid those ingredients.  Not that Munchkin minded because he just devoured them completely.

So I went hunting pizza crust recipes again.  I've got Carol Fenster's recipe but I'm just not happy with it.  It is good compare to almost all other GF pizza crusts I've found.  But it's always gummy in the center for us.  So I went hunting again.  And I found this - http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/02/gluten-free-pizza-crust-my-new-recipe.html   Guess what - it's good.  And it is better than the old recipe, even with substitutions.  I'm still going to have to play with it though because Munchkin won't eat pieces that don't have pizza sauce.  Of course that may be because we so rarely have any bread type stuff to eat.  But for now I've got two recipes that are way above any of the other suggestions out there so I'll work with that.  Now I've got to work on making them to freeze so that I have dough on hand, even on rushed days.

And while I'm sharing recipes, here is the link to the site that has the GF pie crust that I used to use.  http://www.birdshillenterprises.com/GlutenFree_Index.htm  I've used both of the ones she has, with any necessary changes for allergies, with great success.  I just got out of the habit.  And since I've actually trying to add grains back in to our diet, except for gluten grains, I've got to get back in the habit.  I hope these recipes help someone else as well.

Oh, and for those who follow, the playset is completely painted and assembled.  It took two days for Munchkin to finally believe that it wasn't going to disappear overnight.  And another whole day of play before he was willing to spend and time on his other play things.  All in all, a great success.

2 comments:

  1. Great on the play equipment. I may have to look at those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for him because he's happy. Great for me because he exhausts himself so he sleeps through the night.

      If you need allergen free recipes feel free to PM me. I've been doing this diet for almost 10 years now and have accumulated a lot of decent recipes. There's just one or two things that are hard to duplicate.

      Delete

Please share ideas. I'd love to hear from you.